You are here:

Language requirements

  1. What language are the courses taught in?
    As a general rule, all courses are taught in German. Good knowledge of the German language is a requirement for successfully studying in Dortmund. Occasionally, some of the elective courses may be taught in English, in exceptional cases, reports may be handed in English.

  2. Which language certificate do I need?
    You need to prove your German skills with a language proficiency test. The following tests are recognized by TU Dortmund University:
    - German Language Certificate for University Entrance (DSH): level 2 or 3
    - Language Certificate ‘German as a foreign language’ (TestDaF): Score TDN 16 or more
    - German Language Diploma (Level 2) from the German Standing Conference of Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz Zweite Stufe – DSD II)
    - Goethe-Certificate C2 (Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom/GDS)
    - Goethe-Certificate (Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung/ZOP)
    - Minor or Major German Language Diploma (KDS or GDS) from the Goethe Institute
    - telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule

    For more information about language requirements and language schools, please visit the International Office’s website.